In these Power Rankings, I will list who I believe are the best 10 sides in the world right now. I will base this on the concept that if two teams faced each other at a neutral venue five times; who would I pick to win the majority of the games.
10. Shakhtar Donetsk – Shakhtar have been dominant at home for a long time and with the core of their players possessing telepathic understanding, they have a great chance at reaching the latter stages of the Champions’ League.
9. Manchester United – The Red Devils have suffered a set-back this week after losing to Norwich but with the attacking talents of Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and the ‘Little Pea’, you can never count them out of a game!
8. Manchester City – Mancini has had a torrid time in Europe but the club is moving along back home, topping the table for the first time this season. An array of talents across the pitch should see City climb up these rankings.
7. Internazionale – Since stopping Juve’s ridiculous undefeated run, Inter have found themselves in a rotten run of form. I think they are in danger of slipping out of the top 10 altogether.
6. Athletico Madrid – Talent-wise, I think the top five pick itself but if Athletico defeat Sevilla, I may have to reconsider my view on Athletico not being an elite side. Having said that, I genuinely believe that this is the highest that we will see them in my Power Rankings.
5. Juventus – A ’30 goal’ striker away from being the closest challengers to Barcelona, the Old Lady has truly returned to the pinnicle of world football once more. Their demolition of Chelsea was a joy to behold and I view them as serious contenders for European glory this year.
4. Real Madrid – One of the most talented teams the world has ever seen but they seem a little out of form. Mesut Ozil is not playing at his best, Luka Modric seems to be finding it hard to fit in and Marcelo is out for at least one more month with a broken foot.
3. Bayern Munich – Top of the German Bundesliga and playing outstanding football, Bayern are looking formidable. It will be easier to judge where they are after they play Dortmund in December. Frank Ribery is playing the best football of his career.
2. Borrusia Dortmund – I was very close to putting Dortmund at the top of this list but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I think Lewandowski needs to start performing to a higher standard if Dortmund are to be considered the best team in Europe. They have all the tools to do it but must improve in the Bundesliga. Kagawa must be kicking himself for leaving such an amazing team.
1. FC Barcelona – What can you say about this team that hasn’t already been said. They leak goals at the back yet they still manage to win games. Their domination of the ball is outstanding and they are still the most talented team in football.